Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dance, Ellen, Dance!

Why I love Ellen Degeneres.  She makes me happy. Point blank, plain and simple, she makes me happy.  After a while I start to ponder how it is that something can make me so happy that really has nothing to do with my immediate life.  I remember being young and watching her sitcom, and her stand up and thinking she was VERY funny.  And then she came "out" and it was a time where she was moving in uncharted territory.  Then she became this jumble.  A jumble of who she was, what she represented, what she was doing, where she was going, who was watching her, etc... and it was messy to watch.  And it appeared to me that she had the weight of the world on her shoulders, and she was tired, and then she disappeared.  But then, she came back.  
And I love to watch her talk show.  
After her brief monologue she always dances through the audience, and this is the part that makes me really happy.. and I know why.  Every day.. no matter what when the music plays and she starts dancing she looks light.  No longer is she carrying all that weight she did when she was with what's her name.. and the fact that she doesn't have the weight but once did, she knows how much lighter life is, and that makes her look even more lighter...that right there is why I love getting older.  The awareness can't be matched by anything.  They say that "youth is wasted on the young"... but when I look at Ellen dancing with the confidence of a teenage girl who can't imagine anyone not thinking she was totally awesome, but inside knowing there are lots of people who don't think you're awesome and a bunch that think you are but don't want you to know it.. ,I know that the power of youth can reincarnate itself in us. We can have it all, the naive beauty comes back only it is gained through wisdom and self awareness and love..
Getting older can be getting better...
it is such a cliche.. but so true.
did I happen to mention I turn 35 next week?  Bring it on!!!!

No comments: